Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the launch of Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana on 22 January 2015 and as you might be aware that the account is basically a saving account for the girl child which can be opened by the parents. The account comes with a lock-in period of 8 years and the maximum age limit of the girl for whom the account can be opened in 10 years so basically, the girl gets money when she turns 18. The government is offering a higher interest rate on the account and the scheme can surely help the parents in saving for the expenses of the education as well as marriage.
Benefits and Criteria of Sukanya Samriddhi Account
The government is offering a higher interest for the parents who deposit money in Sukanya Samriddhi Account and in addition to the higher interest rate, the government is also offering tax exemption on money deposited in such accounts.
The account opening procedure is very easy however, there are some terms and conditions attached to opening the Sukanya Samriddhi Account. Some of the terms and conditions include the point that a parent can open only one again for one girl child and parents can open more than two Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
It is also impossible for parents to withdraw money from the Sukanya Samriddhi Account pre-maturely however, there are some exceptions to it. The parents can withdraw money in case of death of one of the depositor or in case of a life-threatening medical emergency.
Checking Balance in Sukanya Samriddhi Account
As you might be aware of the fact that there are over 25 banks which are offering Sukanya Samriddhi Account for the girl child and the list of the bank includes Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, SBI Bank, Punjab National Bank, ICICI Bank and many others. All these banks are providing with a passbook to check the balance of the account and you can get the passbook updated as and when you want but do you know that it is possible to check the balance of the Sukanya Samriddhi Account Online? Well, here is how you can do it.
- The first step is to get the login credentials of the account from the bank. It should be noted that not all banks are offering the facility to check the balance online and hence it depends on the bank you choose.
- Once you have the login credentials then you can go ahead and navigate to the internet banking website of the bank.
- Now, you can login to the bank’s website using the credentials for the Sukanya Samriddhi Account. You can login just like you login to your regular savings or salary account.
- Once you have logged in to the account, you will be able to check the balance on the home page or the dashboard of the account.
- It should also be noted that you would have a very limited access to the account and you will not be able to make any transactions with that account. There are very few banks which are providing facility to check the balance online and the bank which are providing the access are providing with a read-only access to the portal.
This is how you can check the balance and in addition to this, it is advisable to maintain a copy of the passbook and get it updated once in every quarter. The passbook can help you in filing the income tax returns as you would be getting an exemption on the amount deposited in the Sukanya Samriddhi Account.