The usage of credit cards among Indians seems to be on the rise. The findings of a recent survey by Trans Union CIBIL indicated that around 19% urban consumers said that would apply for a credit card in future.
The rise in frequency of use of credit cards in the country has been boosted by the attractive offers and easy terms at which the facility is offered by banks. A leading example among these banks is that of IDBI Bank Ltd. which offers customized credit cards for varying needs of different sets of clients.
How to apply for a credit card
The bank’s clients can apply for a credit card via any of the three options:
Visit the bank
- One can simply walk into the nearest branch of IDBI Bank and fill a form to get a credit card.
- Another way is to call up the IDBI Bank’s credit card customer care at their toll-free helpline 1800 425 7600 or 22 4042 6013. The caller would be greeted with a phone banking executive who can guide him or her through the process of application. Later, the request would be forwarded to the home branch for being processed.
- An IDBI Bank account holder can also get a credit card online by posting the request in ‘Help Us Contact You’ section on the bank’s official website https://www.idbi.com/index.asp. A bank executive would get back to the client.
IDBI Bank Ltd. encourages its clients to avail its credit cards membership programme for a myriad range of benefits and rewards. In order to avail the facility one needs to be:
- Between the ages of 21 years and 60 years. The upper limit is 65 years for self-employed applicants.
- Existing credit card holders can add-on another person to avail the same facility, provided the latter is 18 years of age.
- Should be a resident of India.
Irrespective of the option you choose to apply for a credit card, one has to provide a set of document before the bank processed a client’s application. The list of documents is as follows:
- An identity proof like a voter ID, passport or Aadhaar card
- An address proof like an electricity bill or a telephone bill
- A proof of income like 3 months’ salary slips or IT returns or bank statements
- Recently-clicked passport size photograph
Once the bank gets the document and the application, it considers the eligibility of the applicant and finally gives its approval. After the bank’s approval, the client gets the credit card in approximately seven working days.
Before receiving the card
After one receives the credit card here are a few things that one must check:
- Once one receives the credit card, one should check if it’s a chip card sent by Blue Dart courier. If it’s a chip card then it means that it is activated and can be used on its receipt.
- On the other hand, if the credit card is dispatched through Speed Post, then it means it ‘s a deactivated card.
- A client needs to dial up credit card customer care to activate the card.