In the past few years, the number of cases on fraudulent activities related to SBI bank accounts has been increasing. This includes hacking, phishing etc. The bank has taken many steps to prevent such mishaps, however, the culprits somehow keep on bypassing the security laid by the bank. Nevertheless, with the introduction of virtual cards, it would be impossible for any such mishaps.
What exactly is the SBI Virtual Card?
An SBI Virtual Card is a new service or product from the State Bank of India focused on reducing the risk of fraudulent activities related to credit cards and debit cards. The SBI Virtual Card is an e-card or an Electronic Card that is valid for a period of 48-hours from its activation. In other words, this card could be defined as a limit debit card that is only valid for 48-hours from its activation. One of the notable things about this card is that it would be disabled once a successful transaction is made with it.
The SBI Virtual Card could be used at any e-commerce websites or at retailers and merchants that accept Visa or MasterCard’s.
Features and benefits of SBI Virtual Card
- SBI Virtual Card comes with an extra layer of security and privacy
- SBI Virtual Card is designed to hide all the details of the primary card, which involves not sharing the account information with the e-commerce website, merchants or retailers.
- The SBI Virtual Card is disabled after a successful transaction or after 48-hours from its activation
- An SBI Virtual Card transaction could be set to allow successful transaction only if the OTP code sent to your registered mobile number is entered.
- Almost every e-commerce websites, merchants or retailers that accept Visa card, Mastercard, and Credit cards accept an SBI Virtual Card.
- The steps involved in activating and availing an SBI Virtual Card does not involve any complicated steps. The user just needs to have a net banking account in SBI.
- The SBI Virtual Card facility does not demand interest rate for the transactions made.
- The amount would be debited from the cardholders account only if a successful transaction is done.
- An SBI Virtual Card could be created for any amount that ranges between INR 100 to 50,000.
- You could create multiple SBI Virtual Card on the same day; the SBI has set no limit for the number of cards that could be activated per day.
- Once, a transaction is made using the SBI virtual card and if there is some balance amount left in the card, the balance amount would be credited to the account after the card is disabled
- The SBI Virtual Card could be used only in India and not outside the nation.
- If the cardholder did not use the amount credited to the Virtual card before 48-hours, the amount would be refunded to the customer’s main account.
How to create a SBI Virtual Card?
To create and use an SBI Virtual Card, you should have an active net banking account or you should possess a net banking account with SBI. If you do not have one, acquire one and then follow the steps mentioned below.
- Step 1: Open your web browser and navigate to the State Bank of India internet banking page or click here to navigate directly to the page https://www.onlinesbi.com/
- Step 2: Log in to your account using the credentials
- Step 3: Once, you are logged into your account; you would find the option “e-card” on the top bar. Click this option or place the cursor on this option.
- Step 4: If you click on the option, you would find on the next page an option that says “Generate Virtual Card” click this option.
- Step 5: Now, the page will display the internet banking account linked to the account you opened. Select the account from which you need to transfer the amount to the virtual card.
- Step 6: Enter the amount you wish to transfer to the virtual card. PS: the amount should be between INR 100 – 50,000.
- Step 7: Now, a dialogue box with terms and conditions will appear on the screen. Agree to the terms and conditions by clicking on the tick box at the bottom
- Step 8: Click on the “Generate” button at the bottom.
- Step 9: Now, the page will display the details that you need to verify. Once, you have successfully verified the details, an OTP would be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Step 10: Enter the OTP to authorize the Virtual card creation.
- Step 11: Upon successful creation of virtual card, the details on the card would be displayed on the screen. This includes the card limit, CVV, expiry date and time, name of cardholder etc.
Now, you could simply use the card in any e-commerce websites or with any merchants or retailers.
SBI Virtual Card FAQs
- What is the eligibility criterion to create a Virtual Card?
Any SBI customer with an active net banking account could create a Virtual Card
- Is it possible to withdraw cash from an ATM using SBI Virtual Card?
No, you cannot, if you know what exactly a SBI Virtual Card is, and then you would possibly know that Virtual Cards are designed for shopping and online transactions only.
- What if my SBI Virtual Card is blocked because of some reason and I still have some cash in it. What happens to the card amount?
If the card is blocked and if you had an amount in the card, the amount would be credited to the parent account.
- If I lose the virtual card or if I do not require the card, is it possible to cancel the card?
Yes, you could simply login to the internet banking account and then cancel the card. Once the card is cancelled the amount would be credited back to the cardholders account.
The SBI Virtual Card could be a blessing if you feel insecure about using your debit card or credit card for online e-commerce, merchants or retail transactions. You could enjoy the advantage of extra security and privacy using this service.